For learners who have recently been in education, the entry profile is likely to include one of the following:
- Be 19 years old as a minimum
- A degree or a relevant vocational and/or academic qualification
- A keen interest in teaching and learning
- A current enhanced DBS Check/Certificate – should not have a criminal background which might prevent them from working as a teacher with young people or vulnerable adults;
- Mature learners may present a more varied profile of achievement that is likely to include extensive work experience (paid and/or unpaid) and/or achievement of a range of professional qualifications in their work sector;
- Candidates should be qualified/ experienced in the subject they intend to teach, have access to 100 teaching practice hours and possess reasonable levels of language, literacy and numeracy.
English Language Requirement
Students are expected to be able to demonstrate English language comprehension at a level equivalent to IELTS (International English Language Testing System) 5.5 to be able to study Level 5 DET
The expectation of IELTS 5.5 (Reading and Writing must be at 5.5) applies to all students recruited to DET level 5 qualification. All students seeking admission to CECOS (including EU and Overseas) are asked to provide/undertake one of the following:
- Evidence that their command of spoken and written English is at IELTS 5.5 (or equivalent) adequate for the programme of study for which they have applied. The expectation can also be met using other English language tests such as Pearson PTE, NCFE, City & Guilds, Cambridge and ESOL etc.
- Initial assessment of ICT & Maths as well as English at level 2
*All candidates will be required to attend an interview where your ability to undertake the course will be assessed.