For learners who have recently been in education, the entry profile is likely to include one of the following:
- Be 18 years old as a minimum
- An AVCE/GNVQ in an appropriate vocational area (e.g.: Business, Hospitality and Catering, Travel and Tourism);
- A BTEC National Certificate or Diploma in Business Studies, Hospitality Supervision, or a similar discipline;
- A GCE Advanced level profile which demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject or an adequate performance in more than one GCE subject. This profile is likely to be supported by GCSE grades at A* to C;
- Other related Level 3 qualifications;
- An Access to Higher Education Certificate awarded by an approved further education institution;
- Related work experience;
- Mature learners may present a more varied profile of achievement that is likely to include extensive work experience (paid and/or unpaid) and/or achievement of a range of professional qualifications in their work sector.
English Language Requirement
Students are expected to be able to demonstrate English language comprehension at a level equivalent to IELTS (International English Language Testing System) 5.5 to be able to study BTEC Higher Nationals.
The Pearson expectation of IELTS 5.5 (Reading and Writing must be at 5.5) applies to all students recruited to BTEC level 4 and level 5 qualifications. The college is required to satisfy itself of the fact that the students have been recruited with integrity and that they will be able to cope with the rigour of the programme.
All students seeking admission to CECOS (including EU and Overseas) are asked to provide/undertake one of the following:
- Evidence that their command of spoken and written English is at IELTS 5.5 (or equivalent) adequate for the programme of study for which they have applied. The expectation can also be met using other English language tests such as Pearson PTE, NCFE, City & Guilds, Cambridge and ESOL etc.
- Initial assessment of English and Maths at level 2
*All candidates will be required to attend an interview where your ability to undertake the course will be assessed.